Every fashionista wants to make a sartorial impact at the office Christmas party, especially if you’re the organizer. In my office, I’ve been dubbed, ‘The Queen Of Fun’, mainly because of my expert party planning skills and my keen ability to anticipate the kind of debauchery that will ensue after everyone uses up their free drinks vouchers!
It’s all about maximizing fun, entertainment and good cheer while minimizing the embarrassment of falling over in your five inch Louboutins after downing your fourth pomegranate gin and tonic. You want to leave the party at 3am looking like a serene queen NOT a drag queen with your make up and dignity still intact!
Here’s my Six-Step Guide to not only surviving the office Christmas party but making it the most talked about event for months to come (for all the RIGHT reasons!):
- Preparation is key — as the organizer you want to look and feel fabulous on the night. Book your hair, make-up and nail appointments in advance — preferably for the week leading up to the party. Don’t be afraid to add some sparkle to your nails with diamante nail art.
- The dress is everything — if you subscribe to my fashion blog, www.phunkypunkfashion.com/fashionblog, you will find lots of inspiration for choosing the perfect party dress. So be daring, make a statement — this is your time to sparkle and shine!
- Wear sassy but comfy shoes — as I mentioned earlier, it’s best to avoid wearing five inch Louboutins to your party even if the theme is ‘Sex And The City’ and you desperately want to look like Carrie Bradshaw. You want to convey elegance and sophistication which is impossible if you’re swaying and hobbling in sky scraper heels! Go for something a little more practical, like a kitten heel which means you can be the Dancing Queen not the Scream Queen until they kick you out of the club!
- Do a reccy — visit the venue the afternoon of the party. Are all those tasty, gourmet canapes you meticulously chose on the menu? Check. Will the party be seating or standing? Drinks and canapes are the best option for numbers over fifty — you can mingle while they play Jingle Bells! Decorations — does the venue exude enough festive cheer? Make sure to distribute Santa hats for everyone to wear. Entertainment — are you having a DJ or live music? Live music is always more festive, just avoid requesting , “All I Want For Christmas Is You” for the hot guy from IT you’ve been flirting with all night! Lastly, hand over the free drinks vouchers to the barman to distribute to everyone on arrival. Scribble ‘non-alcoholic’ on the ones for Gemma, your colleague who put ‘Coyote Ugly’ to shame by performing a strip tease on the bar counter after one sambuca too many last Christmas!
- Make like a bride and arrive late — it’s your party and you’ll be tardy if you want to! As the organizer you need to make a dramatic entrance and ensure everyone gets a good gawk at your fabulous party dress, statement heels and perfectly coiffed hair! Add a pair of black wrap-around shades and a faux fur stole for true movie star appeal! (P.S. don’t arrive too late because once all the canapes are consumed and everyone is on their third free drink, they will be too shit faced to even notice!)
- Sip your drinks — the aim is to stay relatively sober and at least ‘appear’ to be less drunk than everyone else. Take an hour to slowly sip your mojito. By 11pm everyone else will be super plastered, wearing their silly party hats and boogieing with their boss in the middle of the dance floor. You on the other hand will be cool, calm, in control and laughing at everyone while still holding your half finished mojito in your hand!
True fashionistas are always the life and soul of the party. Subtlety and sophistication are their middle names. Don’t be a fashion disaster, be a fashion diva! Make an exit like Audrey Hepburn, not Patsy from, ‘Absolutely Fabulous’ — you don’t want a photo of yourself appearing on the company blog with ripped tights, your knickers around your ankles and a bottle of vodka hanging out of your coat pocket!
Be remembered for all the RIGHT reasons in 2018!